Sunday, August 05, 2007

Elijah Revisited: The Transfiguration Of Our Lord

The Transfiguration Of Our Lord.


Troparion - Tone 7

You were transfigured on the mountain, O Christ God, revealing Your glory to Your disciples as far as they could bear it. Let Your everlasting Light also shine upon us sinners, through the prayers of the Theotokos. O Giver of Light, glory to You !

Kontakion - Tone 7

On the Mountain You were Transfigured, O Christ God, and Your disciples beheld Your glory as far as they could see it; so that when they would behold You crucified, they would understand that Your suffering was voluntary, and would proclaim to the world, that You are truly the Radiance of the Father !

First Vesperal Reading

Exodus 24:12 ¶And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them. 13 And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God. 14 And he said unto the elders, Tarry ye here for us, until we come again unto you: and, behold, Aaron and Hur are with you: if any man have any matters to do, let him come unto them. 15 And Moses went up into the mount, and a cloud covered the mount. 16 And the glory of the LORD abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud. 17 And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel. 18 And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

Exodus 33:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle. 12 ¶And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight. 13 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people. 14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest. 15 And he said unto him, If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. 16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth. 17 And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name. 18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. 20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. 21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: 22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen. 34:4 And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone. 5 ¶And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. 6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth. 8 And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.
Third Vesperal Reading
1 Kings 19:3 And when Elijah saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there. 4 But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers. 5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat. 6 And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again. 7 And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee. 8 And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God. 9 ¶And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah? 11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: 12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 13 And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah? 15 And the LORD said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael to be king over Syria: 16 And Jehu the son of Nimshi shalt thou anoint to be king over Israel: and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room.

Psalmody

Psalm 24:3 ¶Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? 4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. 5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation. 6 This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob.

There is the Law-giver, but where is the son of Nave? There stands Elijah, but where is Enoch to be found? Truly, we see but six, yet there are eight there present. Behold, he on whose two stone-slabs the Old Covenant was founded, meets the Stone on whose Rock of confession the New Israel was build. Behold, the one fed with flames by angels while only a babe in the cradle, who sent fire from on high upon the sacrifice and closed the sky with fervent prayer, only to open it up again and send down floods of heavy raining upon the thirsty, arid ground, meets the two zealous Sons of Thunder. Behold, the Nazarite of old meets the virgin of new. Behold, the one living like an angel in the flesh meets the incarnated Angel of the Lord. Behold, the Law-giver of Old meets the Law-giver of New. Behold, for the brother of Aaron gazes at the eternal High-Priest after the order of Melchisedec. Behold, for thus his wish was finally granted. Behold, for Jacob once more glares into the Face of his God and does not die. Behold, for the King of Glory shows Himself in all His splendor, as He ahead of time foretold. Behold, for the one ascending from the grave meets the one descending from the Heavens, both encountering the One Who shall judge the quick and the dead. Behold, for Law and Prophets are fulfilled in Him with Whom Moses and Elijah hold converse. Behold, for Tabor prepares us for Golgotha and enlightens for us the way of the Cross. Behold, for Golgotha will become the Tabor of those in the grave awaiting to be delivered from their chains. Behold, for today the Mount of Tabor, more brightly than Sinai and Horeb, shines forth the Divine Light. To the God of Glory be glory forever; the God of our fathers, may He be blessed forever ! Amen.

4 comments:

Odysseus said...

I've always heard that the East makes more of the Transfiguration than the West, and it shows in that I don't have a declaration handy. For instance, at Christmas we say "Merry Christmas", and at Easter there is "The Lord is Risen" and the reply "He is risen, indeed!".

What does one say for Transfiguration? Happy Transfiguration? Or am I being, as usual, hopelessly dense? :)

Anonymous said...

There's no Transfiguration greeting. Sorry. :-(

Odysseus said...

I thought I left a new comment here. I guess I screwed up. Anyway, Catholic Boy wants to know what these words mean:

Troparion
Kontakion
Vespereal

I'm guessing most are Greek. The last, I assume, has to do with Vespers, the evening liturgical prayer.

Anonymous said...

Orthodox boy over here was rather more interested in seeing You becoming more interested in the typologic Scripture readings, and typologic Scripture interpretation (the white part at the end of the article).

You *DID* leave the other comment, but in the below-article's comment box.

The Troparion is basically a hymn. Every cathegory of saints has its own Troparion, You just have to "fill in the blanks" with his / her / their respective name(s). To understand what Kontakion (and Eikos) mean(s), You have to read a real-live Akathist. Here are some:

akathists.blogspot.com

Enjoy and have a blast!